Purpose: To recognize, encourage, and stimulate outstanding teachers of high school chemistry in the Central Region.
Nature: The Region Award consists of a $1, 000 cash award and a plaque. Reasonable travel expenses to the Regional Meeting at which the award will be presented will be reimbursed. A certificate/plaque may also be provided to the recipient’s institution for display. In some cases, the awardee may be asked to give a keynote address and/or participate in a symposium with other teachers.
Rules of Eligibility: Any individual, except a member of the award selection committee or currently enrolled student of the nominee, may submit one nomination or support form in any given year. Local Sections within the Region are especially encouraged to submit nominations for the award. The nominee must be actively engaged in the teaching of chemistry or a chemical science in a high school (grades 9-12) on at least a half-time basis. The nomination should clearly demonstrate as many of the following attributes as possible:
· The quality of the nominee’s teaching; unusually effective methods of presentation should be emphasized;
· The nominee’s ability to challenge and inspire students;
· Extracurricular work in chemistry or a chemical science by the nominee, including science fairs, science clubs, and activities that stimulate the interest of young people in chemistry and related sciences;
· A willingness to keep up-to-date in the field, as evidenced by the pursuit of a higher degree in chemistry or a chemical science, enrollment in refresher courses and summer institutes, regular attendance at scientific meetings, membership in professional organizations, and other means of self-improvement;
· Evidence of leadership and/or active involvement within the profession.
1. A complete application that consists of the Nominee Information Form, the Nominator Information Form, the Nominator Recommendation of not more than 1,000 words submitted by the nominator according to the guidelines outlined on the Recommendation Form.
2. A curriculum vitae or resume that includes a list of the nominee’s honors, professional activities, and additional evidence of service to the profession. This must be limited to no more than two pages and the activities listed must have occurred within the past five years.
3. At least one, but not more than three, letters of support. One must be from the teacher’s current principal or supervisor. Additional letters of support may be sent by colleagues, members of the American Chemical Society who are familiar with the nominee’s achievements, or former students and parents of former students.
Application: Award application can be found here.
Deadline for submissions: March 18, 2013
Mail/Email (as a PDF attachment) all materials to:
Diana K. Deese
ACS-CERM/Midland Section Awards Chair
PO Box 2695
Midland, MI 48641-2695