The following exhibits will be on display throughout the 44th ACS Central Regional Meeting. On Thursday, there will be a reception with complementary refreshments from 5:30 to 7 p.m. This is not a ticketed event, though advance registration is requested via the main registration form.
Images of The Dow Chemical Company From the Brush of Arthur Knighton-Hammond
Park Library Baber Room
In 1919, the accomplished European artist Arthur Knighton-Hammond was commissioned to create renderings of the Dow Chemical Company plant in Midland, Michigan. While the commission was fueled partially by H.H. Dow’s desire to enhance the company’s public profile and thereby sales, the result is an invaluable artistic record of the company’s early plant. The works in this exhibit are on loan from the Herbert & Grace A. Dow Foundation permanent collection. This is the first time that they have been exhibited in Mount Pleasant.
Drilling for Brine: The Dow Chemical Plant in Mt. Pleasant 1903-1930
Clark Historical Library (inside Park Library)
H.H. Dow’s early studies at the Case School for Applied Sciences led him to potential Michigan geological locations for salt brine and, when coupled with his invention for producing bromine from brine, to the future success of his career as a chemical manufacturer.
Despite numerous professional setbacks, he was able to create the Dow Chemical Company in 1897; and after the turn of the century, the company became a leading producer of both bromine and bleach derived from the brine found at Midland, Michigan.
Shortly thereafter, compelling circumstances drove H.H. Dow to seek locations other than Midland for possible brine wells. The citizens of Mount Pleasant banded together to attract the company to their community, and the resulting plant ultimately became a nationally important center for the manufacture of potassium bromide. The production of bromide products and other chemicals in Mount Pleasant generally followed the ups and downs of the bromine marketplace; but, ironically, the plant ceased operations in 1930, at a time when the country’s demand for bromine was increasing.
Historical Exhibit of the Midland Section, 1919-2013
Clarke Historical Library (inside Park Library)
A small exhibit of items from the Midland Section spanning the years 1919, when the Section was founded, to the present will be shown in the Clarke Historical Library during the 2013 Central Regional ACS Meeting. Initially the Section primarily provided an opportunity for scientific discussion among those employed at The Dow Chemical Company in Midland, Michigan. Over the last 90 years the Section’s purpose has evolved with its growing support and education of the scientific community and the public. The Section has expanded from its initial territory of Midland County to a five-county area in mid-Michigan that includes Bay, Gratiot, Isabella, and Saginaw Counties and the major population centers of Alma, Bay City, Midland, Mount Pleasant, and Saginaw.